Speech by Ambassador Ison Mustafaev at the Briefing on 60th Anniversary of Universal declaration of Human Rights and measures undertaken by the Government of Uzbekistan in this sphere
Ladies and gentlemen,
In 2008 the international community celebrates the 60- anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which constitute a political and legal basis for the formation of the whole system of international law in this sphere.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights became the first international legal document that the Republic of Uzbekistan joined after gaining its independence. For that reason this event is widely celebrated in Uzbekistan.
On the First of May in this year the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan I.Karimov has signed a Decree “On program of actions, dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights”.
The Decree provides for further development of system of organizational-legal and legislative measures. These measures are aimed at ensuring reliable protection of human rights and freedoms in Uzbekistan.
In 2008-2009 it is planned to consider relevant draft laws, realize a complex of measures on the state support for human rights institutions, as well as to take actions in the field of human rights education.
State bodies and nongovernment organizations, institutes of civil society will participate in the implementation of these actions. Close interaction with international organizations, first of all with institutions of the United Nations is envisaged.
The program of actions approved by the Decree, is divided into 5 following parts:
1. Actions on improvement of the legislation concerning human rights. In this framework the ratification of the following documents:
- The second optional protocol to the International Civil and Political Rights;
- Two Optional Protocols to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, on the Sale of Children, Child Prostitution, and Child Pornography, as well as on the Involvement of Children in Military Conflict.
2. Monitoring Actions on observance of the legislation in the sphere of protection of human rights and freedoms:
- Studying of the state of execution of relevant laws;
- Consideration of issues of improvement of legal education of women;
- Preparation of the third periodic report on performance of provisions of the International pact on civil and political rights;
- Preparation of the fourth report on performance of provisions of the Convention on liquidation of all forms of discrimination towards women.
3. Actions in the field of human rights education:
- organization of national lesson the day of adoption of the declaration;
- Introduction of training course of "Human rights" in all higher educational institutions;
- Development of school manuals on the Right of the child;
- Introduction into curricula of high schools for journalists of special programs for learning national and foreign experience of participation of mass media in protection of human rights.
4. Information support for actions:
- organization of meetings, seminars, conferences;
- organization of special programs, demonstration of materials in mass media - on TV, radio, in newspapers and magazines, on Internet;
- publication of various brochures, manuals, collections, marks, cards and other printed materials.
5. Actions in the field of international cooperation:
- organization of International scientific conferences "the Universal declaration of human rights - 60 years", "National system of protection of human rights in Uzbekistan: current state and prospects", "Habeas Corpus - the major guarantee for human rights in the sphere of justice ";
- organization of international round tables and seminars;
- preparation of the thematic collection "Republic of Uzbekistan: promotion and protection of human rights ".
In order to achieve these goals effectively, there has been created the Special Commission for organizing Program activities, which are dedicated to the 60 anniversary of adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It will coordinate the activity of ministries and organizations in the country.
The Special Commission will also set up cooperation with international organizations, first of all, with UN organizations aimed at the participation of Uzbekistan in the international events, dedicated to the anniversary of adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Besides, taking into account the suggestion of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, the government of Uzbekistan has decided to allocate 100 thousand dollars as a voluntary contribution of Uzbekistan to the Special Fund of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. This Fund will support UN efforts for practical implementation of the main goals of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Program of actions dedicated to the 60 anniversary of adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a logical consequence of the policy, which has been carried out since the first years of independence of Uzbekistan. This policy is aimed at gradual transition from the strong state to the strong society.
In the special issues of the Information Bulletin of the Embassy dedicated to the 60th anniversary of adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Year of Youth in Uzbekistan, you can find more detailed information on consequent steps taken by the country in these directions.
They contain detailed information about international cooperation in this area, participation of Uzbekistan in 60 main international human right documents, measures taken for ensuring gender equality, care for health and education of the young generation.
Thank you for your attention